[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question regarding graphs

  • From: Marilyn Beasley <mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Virginia Tallman <tallman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 11:17:39 -0400

Hi, Virginia.

Great questions. I don't know if mine are "official" answers, but here's what I do.

First, if your tables are scanning as tables, more power to you, that's wonderful,
leave them in as is.
As far as graphs, for pie charts, if the percentages of the pieces of the pie are given, list them and that's all you need, with a short description that this is information from the above pie chart. For most charts, I describe what I can -- I'm sighted, BTW.

Here is what I did just days ago for a chart in "Relationship Rescue" by
Dr. Phil McGraw:

Fig. 1 Male/Female Sexual Arousal Pattern

[PROOFREADER'S NOTE: From time of "Idea," the male's "level of arousal" rises quickly, almost to orgasm after 1 minute, arousal rising further, male reaching orgasm at 2.8 minutes. From time of "Idea," the female's "level of arousal" rises slower and steadier. At 6 minutes "Clitoris Dilates, Vagina Expands/Lubricates." Female arousal rises further and at 13 minutes reaches orgasm. Between the 2.8 minute mark and the 13 minute mark, above them is a bracket with the word "OOPS!" above it.]