[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question re "reading" footnote numbers and quotation marks

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 21:46:37 -0500

I have often seen books with dual footnotes: informational ones at the bottom of the page, source ones in a list at the end of the the text of the book Labeled "Footnotes" and consisting exclusively of sources. Oddly, there is usually another "List of Sources" or "Bibliography" sometimes designated "of Sources" if followed by a "Bibliography for Further Readings".

I don't think it would be proper to change whatever designations there are but after the first source footnote number it might be acceptable to put a "reader's note" at the bottom of the page stating that all the footnotes are source notes and are found at the end of the [or wherever and under what title if any]. That would not be infringing upon any rights limited to the author or publisher but could be an aide to the blind reader and should not, therefore, be objected to by said author or publisher. Since the question of "rights" is involved you might ask Jim or John about the legal position in terms of copyright agreements with publishers. Other than that I can see no objection. I have often found such notations in RFB&D books. [A copy of the Kipling was donated to me after having been recorded by them and I found typed notes taped in it that had been included orally in the recordings but which I excluded as irrelevvant for the Bookshare copy.]

Amy
omsm