[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on children's book without page numbers

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 13:29:54 -0400

There are parents who are blind who want to read the books their sighted
children read. I think children's picture books (when I say picture books I
mean books which have text, but also have large pictures, that are usually
big hard cover books, but not thick hard cover books with lots of pages.
Maybe 20 to 30 pages.

Also there are young children who are blind who might also want to read
these books.

When I do them if I think the picture is relevant, then I describe it. I'm
not the best picture describer (Judy is!) but I try to tell what is
important.

I think the one book I can think of off the top of my head where the
pictures are vitally important is No, David by David Shannon. Much of the
text just says "No, David!" so you need to know what's happening in the
pictures. I think that was one of the first books I proofread as a new
volunteer, although when I just checked the collection, it is now submitted
and proofread by Worth Trust, so I hope they put as much love and time into
the pictures as I did several years ago.

--
Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading: Blood is the Sky by Steve Hamilton <br>