[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on children's book without page numbers

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 22:09:32 EDT

Your comment about blind teachers with sighted students reminded me of
something. When I first became blind I registered with the state rehabilitation
agency and in my first meeting with a field counselor with that agency I was
really speculating about what I wanted to do with myself. I was completely
new to not only my own blindness, but also to the whole field of blindness.
I remembered that at one time I had an ambition to become a teacher which I
had not followed through with, so I mentioned it as a possible ambition I
might resume. The counselor just dismissed it saying something like blind
people can't be teachers. At the time I just accepted her dismissal. Now I
realize how stupid she really was. Her attitude might be partially explained by
the fact that her specialty was not blindness, but was just a general field
counselor for the rehab agency.

                                                                  "If you
tremble with indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine."
Che Guevara

                 The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com/txtindex.shtml
Pathfinder Press: http://www.pathfinderpress.com
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on children's book without page numbers
Date:
8/1/2009 9:28:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Not to mention blind teachers with sighted students where we need to ask
things like, "What do you think from the picture that the author means by
...?"
or other things"do you think that the boy is happy or sad and how can you
tell in the picture?"

And yes I had to do that to several students, smile, is supposed to
encourage full observation and drawing conclusions from both what you read, hear
and
what you see in pictures.

So Bookshare made it possible for me to do that particular task in my job.

By the by, I just noticed this in the last couple of print Braille books
from National Braille Press but they are putting in picture descriptions
now.

block quote