[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question on children's book without page numbers

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 14:37:27 -0700 (PDT)

--- Yes, that occurred to me a long time ago and I was wondering why I was
describing illustrations. Sighted parent  could describe pictures to blind
child and sighted child could describe pictures to blind parent.. Then it
occurred to me that  maybe a very young child wouldn't have the vocabulary to
describe what he/she was seeing.  Even with  descriptions, a parent is probably
oing to have to explain what some things in the illustrations are, if the child
h asn't expeienced them. I'm so glad that, as Shelley has told us, there are
models, e.g., of animals, that a chuld can feel.

Or the other way around, sighted parents can read along with a blind child
learning to read, and in addition describe the pictures.
Misha