[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question for sighted volunteers

  • From: Emily Harrison <greeniebone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:59:45 -0400

That's so easy to say...but the eyes tend to fill in blanks, so to speak, so
when reading visually, one is reading more what the brain expects to see,
rather than what is actually there.  That's why it's often said that most
vowels in words are non-essential in print, since the brain tends to fill
them in anyway.  Eyes move so quickly over a printed document that it's easy
to miss a 1 printed as I, or a 0 printed as O, if not paying close
attention.  It has nothing to do with visual acuity, but rather with
attention to detail!

P.S.--I wear glasses, and I still mix up zeroes and ohs at times.  *wink*

--
Emily Harrison
greeniebone@xxxxxxxxx