[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question for sighted volunteers

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 10:11:27 -0500

Hi Melissa and Jamie!

When I read the Roman numeral I (capitalized), I have trouble determining if it is an I or a 1 when reading with the optacon.

Another scano I sometimes find is Til, when it should be "I'll instead. I suggest you correct that one as you find it, though, since it could be right and not a scano.

Debby

At 09:27 AM 4/11/2010, Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote
Hi Melissa, yes, the number 1 and the capital letter I in print are very similar. It's a common scanning error I get so I try to do a search for 1 space and space 1 to see if I got any of them so I can fix them before I submit.

And almost ALWAYS if there is a phrase like "O Lord" or something else where the O is all by itself I get a 0 instead. They are bot a circle, sort of. The ones and I's are both straight lines.

The other common scanning error I see is urn for um as the lower case r and n run together looks like a small letter m. Same with die for the. This is a little more far reaching but if the print quality of the book is poor or the scanner didn't press down on the book hard enough the t seems to scan as a d with part of the h blending to the t to "close up" the t to make it a d and then what's left of the h scans as a lowercase i.

Without being able to actually see the letters I know this probably makes no sense at all but just know you're correct in your guess that they look alike, the 1 and the I and the 0 and the O.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: The Great Arizona Orphan Abduction by Linda Gordon
Earn cash for answering trivia questions every 3 hours: <http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497>http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497

See everything I've read this year at: <http://www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html>www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html

mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>