[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question for sighted volunteers

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <mirxtech@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:27:18 -0400

Hi Melissa, yes, the number 1 and the capital letter I in print are very
similar. It's a common scanning error I get so I try to do a search for 1
space and space 1 to see if I got any of them so I can fix them before I
submit.

And almost ALWAYS if there is a phrase like "O Lord" or something else where
the O is all by itself I get a 0 instead. They are bot a circle, sort of.
The ones and I's are both straight lines.

The other common scanning error I see is urn for um as the lower case r and
n run together looks like a small letter m. Same with die for the. This is a
little more far reaching but if the print quality of the book is poor or the
scanner didn't press down on the book hard enough the t seems to scan as a d
with part of the h blending to the t to "close up" the t to make it a d and
then what's left of the h scans as a lowercase i.

Without being able to actually see the letters I know this probably makes no
sense at all but just know you're correct in your guess that they look
alike, the 1 and the I and the 0 and the O.

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: The Great Arizona Orphan Abduction by Linda Gordon