[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question for Braille Readers

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 07:19:28 -0400

At present, if you put spaces between the periods as we have been instructed, the translater translates "space period space as "space dis space" in the .brf file.

That is because the period is dots 256 and dis is dots 256.

I am sure this is an issue with the translator. I hope the translator gets fixed.

E.

At 09:58 PM 3/24/2008, you wrote:
The elipsis is a bigger problem. I thought they were kade in print
with three periods togeher ... and that is how translation software
translates, or at least mine. If it sees that, then most of the time
it translates it into a braille elipsis, which is made with three
apostrophes. However, I've lately learned that they are actually made
with . . . (spaces between the periods.) I think that was actually
taught me in a writing class, but I'm not sure. So, if you want to
make it right or the braille readers, you just about have to make it
wrong for print readers. I have a problem with this, but I do see this
as a problem much thornier and more about compromising a book if that
is how you are really supposed to write one of those.

Cindy Lou Ray. Each day is a new adventure.