[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about scanning with openbook

  • From: "Lynn I" <lynnskyi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:04:18 -0500

Hi Amber!

I use OpenBook version 8. Sometimes you just have to play around with the
settings until you hit upon the right combination. I'll offer some
suggestions here, though you may have tried these already.

Make sure that "eschew" is checked, and that "despeckle" is unchecked.

Try scanning with the various scanning engines and see what the result is.
If one of them gives you a better result, you'll have a better idea about
whether the contrast is set correctly.

If you get poor results with other scanning engines, try adjusting your
contrast and/or resolution.

Also, sometimes changing from "two-page" to "single-page" scanning mode can
make a difference, as well as experimenting with unchecking the "recognize
columns".

Sometimes, if you know that your book is placed on the scanner in "normal"
position" setting those and other settings rather than having the scanner
determine them automatically, gives better and faster recognition as well as
better scanning results.

If you want to write to me off list or chat on Skype, we can try to figure
this out. *smile*

I'm sorry to say, a lot of this is guess-work.

Hope I haven't made this more frustrating.

Blessings.

Lynnsky