[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about poetry lines

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:00:22 -0500

Hi Kathy!

You are doing fine with that nursery rhyme book.  The formatting sounds right.

I have never proofread poetry, but I have scanned a few poetry books that had some prose, so I scanned it all as poetry to protect the formatting of that, and the little bit of prose there was, I formatted in paragraphs as prose should be.

In one book, there was just an introduction that was prose and the rest were haiku.

In another one, the pages that had poetry also had a scripture verse at the top, then the poem, then a prayer, since it was a daily devotional, so I formatted the scripture as prose unless it was a few verses from a psalm that needed to be left as poetry and always formatted the prayer as prose.

The third poetry book has free verse, so there were many lines that were extremely short. It's especially important to format poetry correctly so that it reads well, especially for a sighted reader, which I am not.

Also, place an asterisk between stanzas if there is more than one and three asterisks between each poem to protect white space, or the tool will run them all together, I think..

I am not sure why the paragraph marks look bad, but maybe the lines are too short. I am almost done proofing a book that was all prose that was scanned so that there were line breaks that needed removing. I found a tool that did a great job on the line break removal, which saved the day, because I messed up on a test copy of the book that I could try various things on to see what worked. This tool I found is a shareware word processor called PolyEdit. It has a feature that changes lines to paragraphs. I have recommended it on the list before.

You can get it if you ever want to try it at:

www.polyedit.com

No, I don't work for the company, (smile)!

Debby

At 08:23 PM 6/9/2010, Kathy Hester wrote
I am doing a book which has some nursery rhymes and some other verse. The prose in the book is written in normal lines--but the "poetry" has a new line for each line, which, of course, will mean it has a paragraph mark. This looks totally reasonable to me--it seems to me that each line should be on a separate line, but I think I have read on the list at some time that the paragraph symbol for each line is objectionable. I don't really understand why the paragraph marks are objectionable if it isn't prose, but if they are, what should I do to make the line divisions apparent?

Thank you.

Kathy

        --
mailto:<the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>