[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about paragraph formatting

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:50:05 -0600

Hi Guido, and thanks for your thoughts on this.

Many of these books don't have paragraph indentations. So leaving them alone actually leaves out the visual cues a sighted reader uses. On the other hand, adding in the indentations is a pain in the butt because it messes up paragraph formatting over page breaks that then has to be corrected by hand.

So, the crux of my question remains: Is there any agreed-upon standard paragraph format regarding indentation for bookshare? smile.

I have full vision and personally prefer indentations, but I'm one of only a handful of sighted bookshare members. I have no idea what impact, if any, paragraph indentations have on braille readers or printed braile.

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guido Corona wrote:

I suggest you leave paragraph indentations alone. They are visual queues that can be useful to some low vision / dyslexic reader.

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

*"Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>*

01/17/2008 10:47 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

        bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
        [bksvol-discuss] Question about paragraph formatting

I'm using Word to validate rtf files that I'm downloading from step 1. Some scans I've downloaded come through with paragraphs all the way through the book that have zero indentation. Other scans have each paragraph indented anywhere
from .2 to .5 inches.

Is there any preferred way, or required way, that paragraphs should be formatted in regards to indentation when it comes to cleaning up a scan during validation?