[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about indent

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 14:49:20 -0600

Hi Jack,

They won't be recognized, unfortunately. If you spend your time doing the indenting, the Bookshare conversion tools will strip out that indented formatting.

What I've done is drop the font on the indented sections in an index down from 12 points to 10 points. That way at least the many sighted members will have a visual cue that makes sense to them that these are a subset, as the Bookshare conversion will maintain that font size difference. However, from what I've been told, that won't preserve anything useful for blind readers, as the DAISY navigation won't mark anything under 12 points as being any different than something that is 12 points.

If anyone else has tried this or something different that seems to work for blind readers, I'd sure appreciate knowing about. I'm always looking for new things to add into my own bag of formatting tricks to help make indexes more accessible. Smile.

Judy s.
On 12/20/2012 2:29 PM, jteeter45@xxxxxxx wrote:
I have a book that is indented in the Index. Example:

Potato
    red 12, 15, 18
    white 1,3,56
    rotten 90,123