[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about a book

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 14:26:34 -0400

Anne, I didn't say a thing about not having a warning label. As a matter of fact, I said to put it in the synopsis. I certainly agree that the more information one has to base one's decisions about reading choices the better. I also have nothing against a book that was written for adults with an adult audience in mind being labeled as adult. Bookshare does not have an adult category, but if one is added then that would be welcome. However, it effectively already exists in that there is a children's category and that, not withstanding miscategorized books, it can be assumed that if a book is not listed under the children's category then it must be for adults. The problem is with the adult check box that one finds when submitting a book. If it is checked then anyone under the age of eighteen cannot download it and does not even see it on the site if they are browsing or searching for something. That is flat out censorship. As for some people under a certain age not understanding certain subject matter, So what? What do you do when you find yourself reading something that you do not understand? I suspect that you quit reading it. That's what I do. There have been some exceptions though. When I was in college I found that I did not understand organic chemistry. It would have been nice if I had been able to just skip the classes in that subject and stop reading the material that was required reading for those classes, but if I wanted to complete my degree in biology I did not have the option of skipping it. Somehow I even managed to pass my organic chemistry classes, but I still don't think I understand the subject very well. Did it do me any harm to read organic chemistry textbooks? Not a bit. At most it may have wasted some of my time and caused me some frustration, but I still weathered it quite well. Other than a scenario like that, though, when someone finds him or herself reading material that he or she does not understand the usual outcome is that he or she stops reading it and finds something else to read that is understandable. So what's the problem? The big problem that I see is that some people who have had their sexuality warped and have grown up with unwarranted repressions try to dictatorially insist that everyone else have their sexuality warped in the same way. They insist on it to the degree of censorship and repression. I am all for anyone having whatever sexual attitudes they might want or feel comfortable with, but I sure do have a problem with them when they insist on imposing those attitudes on others. If parents want to be involved in guiding their children in reading choices then that is okay too, but guidance is one thing and having other people impose a ban on certain reading material unless the parent makes an active effort to counteract such a ban is another thing.

On 7/23/2015 7:07 AM, Ann Parsons wrote:

Hi all,

Now Roger, I agree that nothing should be censored but I think that there is some material that needs to have a warning label on it. As has been said before, if you can find it on a book shelf in an open aisle in a store, it's probably not Adult Content. However, some books which have explicit descriptions of aberrant sex, violence, and are considered to be soft porn, should be labeled as Adult Content. Some LGBT lit might be labeled Adult content, not because I have anything against the LGBT community, but because kids under say sixteen, depending on the kid, probably have no understanding of or interest in such things. I do understand that the restriction can be lifted for a given child if a teacher or parent agrees. this, I feel is a good thing because it implies that the child will be reading the book under supervision. This is necessary for some material, I think. I'm not saying kids shouldn't read such stuff, but that they should do so with the knowledge of an adult who can explain, discuss, and answer questions about a given book.

I don't thing there are too many books in the Bookshare collection which would be considered Adult Content. This is, of course a subjective categorization. If 'twere me, I'd be very careful as to what I labeled as Adult Content. If in doubt, check with us. Some of us have been reading a good, long time, and are familiar with many authors.

As Tom Lehr said, "To be smut it must be ut-terly without redeeming social importance ..."

Ann P.