[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about Scanners

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 16:34:33 -0400

FineReader does work well for scanning books and is actually one of the engines in both Kurzweil and Openbook. If you are considering buying software for scanning, FineReader 8 is out and costs less than Kurzweil or Openbook. (smile) I know several people who use it for scanning and who produce scans of excellent quality. Having said that, I use and love Kurzweil. I used to use Openbook and did so for 15 years. The programs cost the same, but they are light years apart in terms of features and ease of use. Kurzweil lets me prepare books for Bookshare in roughly one third of the time it used to take to scan and proofread in Openbook. Jake Brownell has written a fine article about the differences between the two programs, and Kurzweil has added some new and much-needed features since he wrote his article. Check out
http://www.jbrownell.com/ko.html

Because of what Freedom Scientific is doing with the program now, I wouldn't pay what they're charging for it or suggest that anyone else do so. They have allowed Openbook to become a seriously outdated program. They appear to be ignore feedback from their users whereas Kurzweil actually seeks input and responds with improvements in their updates. Openbook's feature set isn't keeping pace with OCR improvements, and their user support is inadequate. It isn't of the quality we used to see when Arkenstone owned it.

In case it needs to be said, these are my opinions, not the official position of Bookshare. (smile)

"Don't let yesterday use up too much of today!" Will Rogers
Monica Willyard, rhyami@xxxxxxxxx
Add rhyami to your Skype if you'd like to chat.