[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question about Bracketed Letters

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2010 15:06:52 -0400

Hi Lori,

I would leave the brackets in. Often brackets are used to show that something
is being added or slightly altered in a quotation without breaking the quotes.
For example, in the Science News magazine I read, brackets will be around words
within a quote that the person being quoted did not actually say, but which
amplify what the person is saying in a way that may make it more understandable
to a nonexpert reader. In the case of the brackets in your example, I am
guessing the brackets are around the single letter because it is not
capitalized in the quotation, but the author changed it to a capital letter.
Just a guess, though. In any case, I would not remove them because the author
clearly wanted them in there to show that the quoted text is being altered in
some way without changing the actual substance of the quote.

Evan