[bksvol-discuss] Re: Question About Family Members

  • From: The Pardees <jfpardee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:10:42 -0400

Monica,
I do not know the Bookshare policy on having a non-member sighted person help you validate, or even if there is one. In the past I have had my partially sighted wife help with poorly scanned words and my sighted daughter correct numbers in recipes, and no one has complained. If I were you I would let your daughter help with no hesitation or concern. If we are wrong I am sure someone will let us know.

Jim Pardee

At 06:38 PM 4/18/06, you wrote:

Hi. I have a question and thought one of you might know something about it. My daughter is 13 and is sighted. I would like to ask her to help me remove several pictures and gibberish graphs from a book I'm validating. Do I need to apply for her to become a volunteer in order for her to help me with this? I might not ask about this if it were just a page involved. These pictures and graphs are scattered throughout the book and are very difficult to remove with Jaws. She says she can do it with a few mouse clicks. I want to honor the Bookshare agreement. I also want to get this book into the admin queue some time this century. <smile> The actual text of this book is excellent, and the pictures are the only sticking point now because they make the file too large to upload to the admin queue. Has anyone dealt with this issue with sighted family members in the past? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Monica
Visit my blog at: http://plumlipstick.livejournal.com