[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quantity versus Quality

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 01:32:25 -0400

When I go to conferences and talk about volunteering for bookshare, I can tell you what the new subscribers come up to me and say,

First they know it is mostly a volunteer run project. Few of them know about the process of book acceptance in detail though it is on the site for folks to read. The comments I have heard from users when encountering books of less than excellent quality are all negative. They think the things in books which could be fixed with a global replace ought to be fixed. Complaints are common about 1 for I. They feel they ought to pay for a service with better quality. Unless you can fix up a book whose quality is fair with tools such as k1k rank spelling and autocorrect and bring up its rating to excellent, please go ahead and reject. Volunteers who validate and who encounter books prepared with such carlessness by the submitter need to send a message asking for better scans. Do make sure your book is put on the rescan list after rejecting it.

Poor quality books make bookshare come across as sloppy.

Nowadays, with the kind of scanning software around, getting a quality scan really is possible and necessary. Thank heaven we at least are going to end the txt page break nightmare.

E.
At 12:31 AM 8/22/2006, you wrote:

Ernie,

I agree. I took a look at a book last night, which was rated Fair. It was something about linguistics, and has been on the Step 1 page for some time. The book fit the standard--it was readable, but it had lots of errors. I really wanted to reject it, but felt I couldn't, as long as Bookshare allows books of that quality. Of course, if it had been illegible, I would have rejected it, but the policy seems to be that we should let books through if we can still read them. I guess that if a student didn't have a scanner, and needed to read the book, this copy would do, but I cringe to imagine what a new subscriber to Bookshare would think!

    I hope Bookshare will soon eliminate the Fair category altogether.

Paula