[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quandries of an inexperienced proofreader

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 14:51:54 -0500

Hi John!

Marty's suggestion is a very good one. I have used books.google.com many times to solve scanno quandries. Most of the time, I have had success with this site. The answers you get back in queries will be text-based, unlike Amazon peek, which is just graphical.

This is the way I do the books.google.com searches. After going to the site, I enter the title of the book in quotes as Marty did. Then, when that comes back, There will be a list of books to choose from, most likely with your book at the top of the list. Press enter on that link to choose that book. You will be taken to that page. Then, In the search books that contains the title of the book, go to the end of the title, put a space, then a +, (that's a plus sign), then another space, then, in quotes" the text either before or after the scanno in quotes.

When books.google.com doesn't give you the answer you are trying to find, only a part of a page comes back in the search and the text you need isn't included, or, occasionally, there is no preview, at all, so then you, or I need to ask for help.

Debby

At 02:05 PM 5/26/2013, Martha Rafter wrote
Hi John,
I think that someone here looked up a word for you in books.google.com. If your book is there, it’s a really good tool for checking words and things. In your browser type books.google.com and hit enter In the edit field, type the title of your book in quotes. Then a bit of text either directly before or directly after the questionable word or words. This ought to bring up what you’re looking for.
Marty