[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quality checks procedure -- was WRe: Re: Self-validation

  • From: The Pardees <fpardee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:35:31 -0400

Guido,
I hate to reveal the depth of my ignorance, and as no one else has asked
the question, it must be deeper than I thought.
What is the difference between a double single quote and a single double
quote and how can I tell them apart and replace one with the other. My
speech engine just says quote..

Jim

At 01:55 PM 6/18/04 -0500, you wrote:

>   I found that the following set of checks tend to generate rather high
>results:
>

>  sample every 20 pages.
>
> works best if the book uses the word 'chapter' or something else to search
>for.
>
> Definitely tedious, as I do it on each and every page.
>
>   I merge it with the last word on the previous page if appropriate.
>
>  These will let you find all sorts of words that were split at end of
>lines or at end of pages and can be repaired.
>
>      Remove manually each occurrence of these clustered nasty things as
>appropriate.
>
>    Remove or repair manually as required.
> we can copy/paste them in the find dialogue to search for them in the
>document.
>
>    Do each change manually as appropriate.
>
>  in most cases that should be changed to I followed by apostrophes.
>
>  In most cases that is part of a '11, which should become an 'll.
>
> Do a mass replacement of double single quote with single double quote.
>
>     you may be deleting someone's middle initial.
>

>Hope this helps.
>
>Guido D. Corona
> Austin Tx.
> IBM Research,
> (512) 838-9735
> Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
> http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html
>

>   <>
>Sent by: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx 06/18/2004 12:23 PM    Please
>respond to
> bksvol-discuss
>     To bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   cc    Subject [bksvol-discuss] Re:
>Self-validation
>

> I completely concur!
>
> The harsh
> truth is, your own errors are much easier to miss, even if you've let that
> I guess the urge to
> self validate is a natural one, since people get submission credits and
> I have a Kate
> Wilhelm mystery that's been up there for some time now, and I want very
> much to just validate the thing and get the credits and more importantly,
>  I'm too aware of how
> I think
> the checks and balances that exist here--the ones that encourage others to
> I realize
> others will challenge my position, suggesting that self validation is
> absolutely the only way some of the more esoteric titles will get
>  The first book I ever validated was a Christian
> romance--decidedly not, not, not something I would normally want to read
> Oddly enough, that's precisely the reason I chose
> I figured the material would be so new and different to me that I'd be
> That book entered the Bookshare system with a
>"" I spent some time with
>"" rating, and it's now part of
> the collection.
>
> I don't use it as an example
> [...]