[bksvol-discuss] Re: Quality and page breaks

  • From: "Silvara" <silvara@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:26:15 -0500

Mike:

This person that we have been discussing is by no means a newby. This person has well over 500 submissions. I do not want to show them the door but encourage them to improve their technique. It would be a shame to lose such a prolific submitter. But if many of the submissions are so poor that they'll need to be rescanned later, in my opinion, it's a waste of volunteer time. The time that a validator spends attempting to clean up or fix up this particular individual's books is so time consuming that it is easier to rescan the book. If a volunteer commits to rescan one of this individual's books, it is time that could have been spent adding a book that never was in the collection to begin with.

I do agree with your point that it is important to have diversity in submitters and content. That's why encouraging people to work on their scanning techniques is imperative.

Since this is a community it is healthy to offer suggestions or opinions. Bookshare, as an organization, has the right to change policies as they see fit. Likewise, as community members, we have the right to continue to volunteer or not. However, what I have experienced from time to time is people not only offering their opinions, but demanding that Bookshare adopt their point of view as policy, which I feel isn't fair to Bookshare, or the community as a whole.

Grace

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Pietruk" <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>