[bksvol-discuss] Puzzling Problem

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 04:10:46 -0700

Hi, Everyone,

I have a very minor puzzling situation in a book I'm proofreading.

In one of the newer documents on what to do as a proofreader, it states that we
are to number preliminary pages with lower case Roman numerals beginning with i.

However, in this book I am proofing, the acknowledgments begin on IX (Roman
numeral nine), but there are ten actual pages before the acknowledgments begin.
 One is a blank page which I can remove, but even so there will still be nine
preliminary pages before the first page with a page number, Roman numeral nine.
 Do I begin my lower case numerals with zero--is there a Roman numeral for zero?

And why are we numbering these unnumbered preliminary pages anyway?

Bob, I'm waiting for a humorous answer from you, but also seriously what do I
do when the number of unnumbered pages is greater than the lower case numerals?

Lori C.