[bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzlement

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 07:14:24 -0800

Corrected! Review and let me know

From: Mayrie ReNae <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:55:50 -0800
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzlement

HI Scott,

The section containing tips for scanning using Kurzweil 1000 still contains the
improper document.  The document in this section is instructions for
proofreading using Kurzweil 1000.  The scanning tips are different, and in case
anyone went looking for those instructions, I'm pasting them below.

Mayrie

Scanning a Book Using Kurzweil 1000 Version 11

The settings that I use in Kurzweil 1000 version 11.03 for preparing a book for
submission to bookshare are those that I have found to be the most accurate.
Though there are many options for differing settings, especially scanning
settings, these are the ones that give the best results in my experience having
worked on well over 500 books.

The processes that I describe for preparing the book for submission are those
that are most helpful for a proofreader, again in my experience with well over
500 books proofread.

Scanner settings are as follows:
Scan and recognize, automatic page orientation, gray-scale data, resolution at
300 DPI.
Recognition settings:
Collumn identification disabled, two pages recognized per scan, speckle removal
disabled, Text quality is normal, partial collumns kept, suspicious regions
kept, blank pages kept, recognition engine is FineReader 8.0, English will be
recognized.
Reading settings:
Line endings will be ignored by the editor and tables will not be identified.
I do not identify tables in straight fiction because junk sometimes scans as a
table and is more of a pain to remove that way, more time consuming.  I have to
know when I'll need table recognition so I can enable it. If you have a book
containing tables, you're best advised to know that before beginning to scan.
Conversion settings:
This set of settings is not available in versions earlier than version 11. In
this dialogue the only deviation from the defaults is to disable "split long
pages" wherever this option is available.
General settings: Raise the confidence level to 98.5. The default of 95.0
leaves too many errors to correct.

Save the file as a kes file under the name of the book. Convert to rtf as
bookshare requires its submissions to be in rtf format only once you have done
all clean-up.

Clean up preliminary pages and confirm accurate page count:
Label: [From The Back Cover] [From The Front Flap] [From The Back Flap][This
Page is blank.] if any blank pages exist. Read through all preliminary pages
and correct all scannos.
Determine where the publisher thought page one should go and set an opperator
defined page number there as page 1.
Check that the last page in the book is numbered properly, telling you that you
do not have any missing or duplicated pages. If the numbers don’t match, either
rescan and insert pages that you missed, or delete duplicated pages. It is
helpful to proofreaders if you insert missing page numbers if they have not
scanned at all or are unclear.

Once you have done these things, you're ready to convert your book to an rtf
file and submit it.

________________________________
From: Martha Rafter <mlhr@xxxxxxx<mailto:mlhr@xxxxxxx>>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:09:10 -0800
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Hi Lori,
   Sometimes when I check out a book that gives me problems right off the bat,
I simply just release it, thinking that someone else may be smarter than I am
and knows how to fix the book.  It’s probably not fair for the next person, but
that is why I sometimes release a book instead of rejecting it.  I think that
you did the right thing; good for you!
Marty