[bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzlement

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:22:20 -0800

Volunteers,

Of course there is always a value judgement in the decision to reject but let
me publicly encourage those who are very experienced proofers and scanners to
exercise that role.

For those who are less experienced,  establish a formal or informal
relationship with more experienced volunteers. Ask them to advise you on making
the call to reject or to fix. As you see from this thread much time is consumed
by not legitimately rejecting a book – including the time of the scanner who
may continue to repeat the same mistakes until given feedback.

This list is a rich source of advice on the subtleties of scanning software,
hardware, and AT. On this point, if anyone feels there is something missing in
the scanning section of the Online Manual let me know or open it for discussion
here on the list under a new Subject line. Here is a relevant section of the
manual:

https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/3.+Scan+a+book#3.Scanabook-3usingassistivetechnologysoftwaretoscan

scott

From: Martha Rafter <mlhr@xxxxxxx<mailto:mlhr@xxxxxxx>>
Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 06:09:10 -0800
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzlement

Hi Lori,
   Sometimes when I check out a book that gives me problems right off the bat,
I simply just release it, thinking that someone else may be smarter than I am
and knows how to fix the book.  It’s probably not fair for the next person, but
that is why I sometimes release a book instead of rejecting it.  I think that
you did the right thing; good for you!
Marty