[bksvol-discuss] Re: Publisher Quality

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 22:21:07 -0700 (PDT)

I know you're right that the book has been submitted by the publisher. Whether
or not it's in electronic format I don't know. It's true that it does not have
to be validated, but people who have downloaded some of those books have found
extraneous characters and, in some cases, no page numbers--possibly no page
breaks, but that I can't remember. The bookshare staff supposedly is fixing up
the books before adding them to the collection--I think. Unfortunately, I think
they're replacing books that volunteers have already scanned and validated in
some cases, and in those cases they are not better. I keep hoping that they
won't replace them but will sit alongside them in the collection. Public
libraries have more than one copy of a book; why can't bookshare? We do have a
list of books donated by HarperCollins so people can check that list and not
scan or validate a book on that list, but I think some are being donated by
Random House. I must ask.

Cindy