[bksvol-discuss] Re: Protecting page numbers and chapter headings

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 08:17:29 -0700

Ok, now I'm more confused than ever.  If I strip the headings manually, then
why does the stripper need something to strip.  If I don't strip them, then I
need to make them consistent so the stripper can strip them correctly?  But if
I do strip them, then I need to put a fake one at the beginning of each chapter
so the chapter heading doesn't get stripped?  Do I have this all correct?
Wouldn't it be a lot simpler just to not strip anything?  Aren't we supposed -
ideally anyhow - to be replicating the original book, in which there is in fact
a heading at the top of each page, except on those which begin a chapter.  This
makes a lot of extra work and complexity and a reduction of quality for those
who can't keep straight all the persnickety demands of the Bookshare software,
or who don't have the time to go through and fix everything just right so that
other readers can have a decent reading experience.  I would say, just drop the
whole stripping thing and make life simpler for everyone and then we won't have
these quality problems.