[bksvol-discuss] Re: Protecting page numbers and chapter headings

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 06:52:10 -0500

Monica,

No, you don't need to worry about the first line of the text.  I've never
come across an instance where it looks as if the Stripper bothered the text.

You do need to worry about the Stripper stripping the chapter headings,
though.  Adding a header above a chapter heading will prevent the chapter
heading from being stripped.

If the book has page numbers, then you shouldn't use OpenBook to strip
headers/footers because the page numbers are part of the headrs or the
footers.  You'll need to strip them manually or make them consistent so that
the Stripper can recognize them.  That way the page numbers remain in the
book.  Otherwise, the page numbers in the books won't necessarily match the
real ones because the Stripper won't find any and will default to numbering
them as Word does, beginning with the first page numbered as 1, and quite a
few books actually begin numbering starting with the first page of the
prologue or chapter 1.

Let me know if you have more questions.

HTH

Gerald