[bksvol-discuss] Re: Problem with Open Book

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, denise Thompson <deniset@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 01:21:39 -0700 (PDT)

Denise, do you think it would workbooks Roger has submitted. I tried my method
of deleting the paragraph marks, but his paragraph marks are different. Also,
There seem to be too many spaces between words that I can't get rid of. I'm
going to release    Unity statement  it says hold for Yohandy Unity statement.
If your method works for getting rid of the paragraph symbols, hat would be
great. If it doesn't, I'll take it back and try again to delete the paragraph
symbols globally; if not I'll do them manually; but if there are too many
spaces between words I'll reject it. I tried deleting those with a  global
replace but nothing worked.  Doing them manually is taking way too long. If I
have to, I'll freject and do my own proofing--or ttry another of Roger's wooks
and see if my method works beter on that. I had no trouble ith 2 of his earlier
submits a while ago.

cindy

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List:

From: Denise Thompson

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2010 8:45 PM

Roger

you’re digging yourself a hole here. Will you stop telling me it's
the same as the 27 step process and that bookshare says it won't work. I
use OB myself and I'm telling you it does work. Get yourself an
inexpensive copy of word and I'll help you with your issue. You don't
need pro or any of the rest of the suite just word. It'll be a lot less
expensive than Kursweil which is either $1200 or $1300.

This is what you do

The idea here is that when scanning into OB, don't make any line or
spacing changes until you're done. OB creates paragraphs by putting two
paragraph marks together which makes a blank line between paragraphs. So
you do what follows in the order I’ve specified. The first step gets rid
of the paragraph marks at the end of each line. It uses the double marks
to determine where the paragraphs are and thereby eliminates those single
paragraph marks. The second step gets rid of the double paragraph marks
leaving just one paragraph at the end of the paragraph and gets rid of
the extra blank line. If you do the second step first, word has no way of
determining which are the marks within the paragraph. So it gets rid of
all paragraph marks. That’s why you must do the first step listed first.
If you do some of the 27 step stuff before you do this it may throw it
off. If you convert the M dashes before the paragraph that won’t hurt
anything. If you locate page breaks and eliminate blank lines at the top
of the page or something like that first it can goof uphow you want your
page numbers or chapter titles to be displayed. For example it may pull
the chapter to the same line as the page number. So you do this first
before you look for page breaks or any of that stuff. You do this first
before you do any other clean up and you’re home free.

If you pull up a file into Word in which each line ends with a
paragraph mark and each paragraph ends with two or more paragraph marks:

1.    On the Edit Menu, choose Replace.

2.         In the Find What
box, enter:

([!^13])(^13)([!^13])

In the Replace With box, enter:

\1 \3

Click the More.. button, and check Use Wildcards.

Click Replace All and click OK when Word tells you it has done the
replacement.

This will remove any paragraph marks that are at the end of a line
but within a paragraph.

3.         Now, in the Find
What box, enter:

^13{2,}

In the Replace With box, enter:

^p

Click Replace All and click OK when Word tells you it has done the
replacement.

This will remove multiple consecutive paragraph marks, so that each
paragraph ends with just one paragraph mark, as it should.

Note that the Use Wildcards setting is sticky, so if you subsequently
do another Find and Replace during the same Word session, you have to
remember to switch it off again, if appropriate.

Denise