[bksvol-discuss] Re: Probably not, but I have to ask...

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:54:45 -0500

Valerie, are you asking if you could make a table of contents in a book that
doesn't have one? Or are you thinking of making a note by each chapter in
the contents to tell a reader how many pages that chapter is? I want to make
sure I understand what is needed.

I can see how helpful it would be for a young reader to know how long a
chapter will be. I think it could be daunting to tackle a chapter where you
don't know how much further you have to go. My daughter always checks the
page count of her chapters so she can set reading goals. Since I can't see
chapter lengths, I tend to set goals like reading ten pages or reading for
20 minutes instead of doing it along chapter boundaries.

I don't want to seem nosy. I'm wondering if there might be another way to
tackle this. I think Nicole uses speech to read. Would you feel comfortable
telling us which readers she uses? We have some very talented computer buffs
and experimenters on this list. We may be able to brainstorm and find a way
to make this work better for her.

For now, just off the top of my head, does her daisy reader support
bookmarking? If so, maybe you could put a bookmark at the beginning of each
chapter for her. That way she'd be able to move from the bookmark in one
chapter to the bookmark in the next chapter and could tell how many pages
are between bookmarks. I think the Bookshare edition of VictorSoft can move
by chapter in daisy books. I don't know about the Don Johnston reader since
a blind person can't use that program.

I want to help if it's possible.

Monica Willyard