[bksvol-discuss] Re: Preserving Indentation

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:51:04 -0500

Amy anyone who wants to read braille can download the daisy, ask for the html to be unpacked, change the html to rtf and read the rtf on a notetaker with a braille display. Also braille displays hooked up to computers can read rtf files in braille. Lots of blind people prefer to read braille or prefer recordings the way some people prefer one flavor of something over another. If someone submits in a format which is not brf the book is available in daisy or rtf. If the person submits in brf the book is not available in daisy for the non-braille readers. Thus submitting in brf is strongly strongly strongly discouraged.

E.
At 03:44 AM 3/11/2007, you wrote:
Jill,

Do all blind people use Bookshare only when they can't get recordings? Or do people who cannot hold books need bookshare print or can recordings work as well. And why get braille ? People with all sorts of disabilities prefer a variety of media to choose from depending upon the message so they should have a variety to choose from, as do the able bodied & sighted community.

Is it not enough that our members need to prove that they have a disability to be able to get copyrighted material. The rest of the collection is open to anyone, even the totally able members of society, who want to use the computer to read. Now maybe someone with dislexia will be able to answer the question specifically as to his choice but should her/she really have to? I have MS and, technically, 20/30 vision. Should I have to explain why I need Bookshare books? I qualified as a member. Wasn't that enough ?

Amy
omsm
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>