[bksvol-discuss] Re: Preserving Indentation

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:54:31 -0500

Thanks for clarification. I had no idea the commonly used scanning software fails to preserve such indentation format. What a shame!

E.
At 12:43 PM 3/8/2007, you wrote:
I have scanned several books with K1000 and quite a few more with OpenBook before that. I have never seen one have the indentation that is at the beginning of each paragraph. As far as blank lines go, you may be right that a book is properly formatted when scanned - perhaps - but with respect to indentation, which is important, especially in poetry which Cindy was refering to, the two most expensive OCR packages do nothing to preserve it that I have seen. This is why she is trying to ensure that it gets reintroduced for the benefit of those who want to read the original as closely as possible. It is unfortunate that the Bookshare processing has thwarted her efforts, as well as that of others trying to do similar things, but she is not adding things to the book that weren't there originally, but merely trying to preserve the work as it was intended by the author.

Evan