[bksvol-discuss] Prelude to a New Bookshare Volunteer Role - Image Describer

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 15:52:04 -0700

Folks,

Over the months you have heard me mention work being done in-house to increase
the number of images we describe. Some volunteers are testing one version of
Bookshare's new Image Description Tool. Another version was released today. I
have just come from a meeting with engineering to discuss the version that will
be released in three weeks. Soon we will be able to take on more volunteers and
start transforming some of our books.

This afternoon we created the email for a new list like Books Being Scanned. It
is for books that are being described:

BooksBeingDescribed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You may be adding image descriptions by hand the traditional way — as text
surrounded by square brackets. Whether you are using the tool or the manual
method please use this email to alert me on how many images are in the book and
how many images you described  each day as you finish a session.

Scott Rains