[bksvol-discuss] Potential mentor for a new volunteer?

  • From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2014 19:01:09 +0000

Hi all,

A potential volunteer recently contacted me who is interested in scanning and
possibly proofreading but he'd like more information about how to use his
particular programs. He is blind and has indicated below what he uses. If
anyone knows anything about these programs, please let me know.

I am currently using Non-Visual Desktop Access with Word Pad built into
Windows. In addition, I am running this Windows machine on a MacbookPro using
Boot camp.

I currently use OpenBok 9 as a demo but I might be changing to Docu-Scan Plus.
I tried scanning with that software but for some reason the time it took to
recognise the text was over fifteen minutes per page I'm not sure if it was
because DocuScan Plus used the internet to recognise text or if it was because
of something else.

Thanks,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator