[bksvol-discuss] Re: Poetry mangled

  • From: james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 08:34:08 -0400

Hi Cindy,
I downloaded some Robert Frost and couldn't find any of the stanza breaks.
I know it was messed up because I had seen some of the same poems from
other sources. That's why I took Eerdmans Book of Christian Poetry or
whatever the title is, then almost immediately returned it. I would have
been wasting time.

Jim

James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx, 412-544-1810

"The difference between those who get what they wish for and those who
don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
Highmark internal only: For usability and accessibility:
http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/

             "Cindy"
             <popularplace@yah
             oo.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             bksvol-discuss-bo                                          cc
             unce@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             g                                                     Subject
                                       [bksvol-discuss] Poetry mangled

             08/08/2008 02:31
             AM

             Please respond to
             bksvol-discuss@fr
                eelists.org

Amy and I join you in disappointment. When I first validated some Chinese
and other poetry I didn't know that tabs were deleted. Then, last year, I
tried resetting margins, but from what Amy said when she downloaded the
Complete Works of Rudyard Kipling, that didn't work either. I think that by
hitting return at the end of lines, one can retain the "sound" of the
poems, but one cannot, it seems, retain the shape that the poets want. I
didn't know at that time that skipped lines get closed and that one should
use asterisks, so verses disappear as verses and choruses and, in the case
of the Kipling, some dramatization dialogue must be crowded together, too.
big sigh

Cindy

--- On Thu, 8/7/08, james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx <james.homme@xxxxxxxxxxxx>