[bksvol-discuss] Poetry mangled

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 23:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

Amy and I join you in disappointment. When I first validated some Chinese and
other poetry I didn't know that tabs were deleted. Then, last year, I tried
resetting margins, but from what Amy said when she downloaded the Complete
Works of Rudyard Kipling, that didn't work either. I think that by hitting
return at the end of lines, one can retain the "sound" of the poems, but one
cannot, it seems, retain the shape that the poets want. I didn't know at that
time that skipped lines get closed and that one should use asterisks, so verses
disappear as verses and choruses and, in the case of the Kipling, some
dramatization dialogue must be crowded together, too. big sigh

Cindy