[bksvol-discuss] Re: Poacher alert!

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kellytalk@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:21:48 -0500

Hi all,

Kelly, you've just come in on this discussion. Netta told us about this problem on Friday and wrote the person asking politely that the book be returned to her. She has also written to Madeleine. I am confident that the matter will be sorted out soon.

It just amazes me how quick people are to jump down other people's throats when they have the temerity to call a horse a horse. The book was taken when it didn't belong to the person who took it. That's stealing. That, my friend, is the definition of the word. It was not done maliciously, but only as a stated fact. "My book was stolen.". What else would you call it? If it looks like a horse, walks like a horse, neighs like a horse, then it's almost certainly a horse, unless it's a zebra.

<smiling> Netta took her own steps to see that the book be returned to her. I'm sure that Madeleine will do more. When a stolen item is returned, the thief recovers his or her good name. the theft may have occurred by mistake. If that's the case, then all is well. If it was a deliberate act, and the thief refuses to redress the wrong, then he or she remains a thief. That's a plain and simple fact.

Therefore, I don't think you need to castigate Netta for calling a horse a horse. It wasn't done with malice, frustration, certainly, but not malice.

As a long-time netizen, you should remember that email is oft-times one of the worst modes of communication on the planet because all you get is what's written. You don't get the body language, tone of voice, facial expressions, nothing, only what's on the screen. That, as you well know, is of'times misleading.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring