[bksvol-discuss] Re: Plustek OpticBook3600

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:38:56 -0400

Hi Denise. I have had my Opticbook  for a year now and have had great
results with paperbacks. I scan roughly 3 to 5 books a week with my scanner.
I scan an equal number of hardcover and paperback books. I use different
settings for each type, and it works better than any other scanner I've
owned. I have also proofread paperbacks scanned by Mayrie, Jim Baugh, and
Larry Lumpkin. All of them have been very clear scans. One thing I like
about the scanner is that I don't have to press down on the book to get a
clear scan. I have much less arm and shoulder strain. The Opticbook is fast
and fairly quiet.

I'm doing my best to be balanced and fair about a product that performs well
for me. The one thing I don't like is that the scanner's bundled software is
totally inaccessible if you use a screenreader. Of course, it works fine
with Kurzweil, Openbook, Omnipage, and FineReader. You just can't use the
hardware buttons on the scanner to scan in your OCR program. Also, I know
two people who had lamp issues, and their scanners were replaced. That was
over a year ago.

I will hazard a guess here. I think some of the people having trouble
scanning paperbacks are trying to do so in two-page mode. They may not
understand why a book edge can give them a clearer image to OCR. The
Opticbook can scan in two-page mode, and it will be just like using a normal
flatbed scanner at that point. The Opticbook is really designed to take
advantage of its book edge. I have very little proofreading to do when
scanning books that way.

Finally, if you or your family wants to use a scanner for scanning lots of
photos, the Opticbook isn't the right choice for you. It's meant for books,
magazines, and other OCR tasks. Corporations use the scanner to digitize
documents to save storage space. It's a specialized scanner that happens to
work great for Bookshare volunteers. If I had the money, I'd send one to
every volunteer who wants one. If I win the lottery, count on it. (smile)

Monica Willyard