[bksvol-discuss] Re: Please Add to Wish List

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:31:27 -0700 (PDT)

John, I  will add your requests to the fiction wish list and will forward your
request to the volunteer email list where hopefully it will attract a scanner
sooner rather than later. smile

You might also enjoy a book that was recently added to the nonfiction wish
list., The Faith Circle. Below are reviews from  PW and Booklist. Although it
is nonfiction, the PW review says it is a page-turning read.

From Publishers Weekly
In the wake of 9/11, Idliby, an American Muslim of Palestinian descent, sought
out fellow mothers of the Jewish and Christian faiths to write a children's
book on the commonalities among their respective traditions. In their first
meeting, however, the women realized they would have to address their
differences first. Oliver, an Episcopalian who was raised Catholic, irked
Warner, a Jewish woman and children's author, with her description of the
Crucifixion story, which sounded too much like "Jews killed Jesus" for Warner's
taste. Idliby's efforts to join in on the usual "Judeo-Christian" debate tap
into a sense of alienation she already feels in the larger Muslim community,
where she is unable to find a progressive mosque that reflects her
non–veil-wearing, spiritual Islam. The ladies come to call their group a "faith
club" and, over time, midwife each other into stronger belief in their own
respective religions. More Fight Club than book club, the
 coauthors pull no punches; their outstanding honesty makes for a page-turning
read, rare for a religion nonfiction book. From Idliby's graphic defense of the
Palestinian cause, Oliver's vacillations between faith and doubt, and Warner's
struggles to acknowledge God's existence, almost every taboo topic is explored
on this engaging spiritual ride. (Oct. 3)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All
rights reserved. --This text refers to the Hardcover edition.
From Booklist
*Starred Review* RanyaIdliby is a Palestinian Muslim; Suzanne Oliver, an
ex--Catholic now in the Episcopal Church; and Priscilla Warner, Jewish.
Initially, the idea behind establishing a faith club was simple--the three
women would collaborate on an interfaith children's book emphasizing the
connections among Judaism, Christianity, and Islam that would reinforce the
common heritage the three religions share. In post-9/11 America, however, real
life began getting in the way. Almost from the start, differences that
culminated in conflict emerged; at one point, the tension even jeopardized the
project altogether. Prophetically, while searching for a story to help
illustrate connections among the religions, Suzanne chose the Crucifixion,
which immediately set off alarm bells for Priscilla. Yet they persevered. All
three agreed that to work together they had to be brutally candid, "no matter
how rude or politically incorrect." Eventually--and as they make
 abundantly clear, not easily--conflict and anger gave way to a special kind of
rapprochement that merged mutual understanding and respect. Each woman brings
to the table her prejudices, unique faith stories, and personal stereotypes and
misconceptions (Priscilla, for example, had those of one who had never before
met a Palestinian woman). Brimming with passion and conviction, and concluding
with suggestions for starting a similar faith club, this is essential reading
for anyone interested in interfaith dialogue. June Sawyers
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved --This text
refers to the Hardcover edition.

list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: