[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pirate lists and Bookshare.org

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:49:09 -0600

Everyone would like to make BookShare an international service, but it can't be done simply by wishing it. It probably can't even be done simply by working hard at establishing it. The problem is that copyright law is very complicated and is not at all international. BookShare works under an exemption in U.S. copyright law, but that law doesn't apply to other countries. I believe that the only reason NLS can share some of their books with some people in other countries is the statement you've probably heard at the end of recordings that says something like "with kind permition from the copyright holder".
What often needs to happen are changes to the copyright laws of other countries and noone here has anything to say about that. I'm sure you've observed or heard about attempts to make international agreements and noticed how dificult and stupid the whole process seems. I can imagine it is even harder with an issue like copyright law which is always a fight because a lot of people don't think we should have the copyright exemptions we already have, let alone more extensive ones.

The good thing is that it might be possible to have organizations share their work sometime in the future If other countries establish services something like bookshare .

I tried to find the E-mail that was sent to this list explaining the issues but I can't find it. I must have lost or deleted it.

Right now I'd like to go scream at some politicians in Australia. I have heard before that it was illegal to scan books for yourself there, but every time I hear it again it makes me mad.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity

----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>