[bksvol-discuss] Pictures was Re: American Action Fund

  • From: "Robert Jaquiss" <rjaquiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:17:33 -0500

Hello Allison, and friends:

I take the view that understanding pictures is more of an exposure issue. We have to remember that sighted children see two, and three dimensional objects from soon after birth. A child watching an hour of television could be exposed to literally thousands of images per hour whereas we might only see a few thousand images in a lifetime. Blind people can learn how to look at tactile images, but we must be shown what the image is. We have to start with simple images, and compare them to the actual three dimensional object in order for things to make sense.

Regards,

Robert Jaquiss