[bksvol-discuss] Perry Mason Books

  • From: Madeleine Linares <Madeleinel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 19:30:05 +0000

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give some background information on the Perry Mason books to
hopefully clear up some confusion.

I have talked to Russ about his scans and he knows that we do not normally
condone scans such as his to be uploaded into the collection for proofreading.
In  this instance though, we are allowing them because a few sighted proofers
(including Cindy) were interested in proofing those books. They offered to
proof them knowing full well the shape of the scans and had plans to obtain the
books because they were interested in reading those particular books.

While we would normally expect scans such as those to be rejected, in this
instance, since the proofers knew what they are getting into, I saw no reason
to prevent them from proofing them. Had Cindy not known what she was getting
herself into, I most certainly would have recommended that she reject those
books! She (and all proofers) should not be putting in that kind of work
normally. In this instance, she knew what the scans would be like and could
make an informed decision.

Again, it is a special circumstance and the proofreaders volunteered to take on
those scans with background information. We discussed these scans with both the
interested proofreaders as well as the scanner, so please do not think that
this is a normal occurrence or that there wasn't any thought put into this. We
do not normally approve of scans like these, especially because we want all
volunteers to have the same opportunities, regardless of whether they are
sighted or blind.

Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or comments!

Best,

Madeleine Linares
Volunteer Coordinator
Bookshare, a Benetech Initiative