[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pearson and Imprints

  • From: "Dornetta" <dornetta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:17:05 -0400

Mary,
It is indeed a SAD fact that Peirson will NOT accommodate our cummunity, it
is not a "BookShare" issue, they  also refuse to make their math companion
tool assessable. The disability office at my college has been "fighting"
with Peirson for a while about the math lab tool and I personally know about
this because I was the one who initiated the campaign. Perison's opinion of
accessibility is to have the sighted developer twick the application for the
blind using tons of unlabeled graphics in bolder colors and large icons
(they can see it now--which was what I was told when needing to use the My
Math Lab tool.) My school has since dropped Peirson had a publisher but
because they are so large, it seems that it makes no difference to them. But
I reckon  if enough colleges and schools drop and their imprints as
publishers and/or sources for materials then hopefully they will make some
strides towards inclusion. (but I won't hold my breath)
Secondly, I enjoy a lot of the imprints but find it difficult for me to
willingly spend my hard money on (or give it to) a company who won't bend
somewhat to a community that I support and love vigorously.
So with that being said, as of right now, I have a personal boycott towards
Peirson.
Netta