[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pearl by Tabitha King

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 19:20:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi gang,

Just to set the record straight, probably 80% of the books that I approve with
an excellent rating have got a few junk characters or scannos in them. But
since the vast majority of pages are fine, I let the errors go. Amber just
re-edited and re-uploaded Pearl to the approval queue.  The book is much
better, it doesn't have nearly the number of junk characters that it did
before, but because Amber wanted to be told if there were any other junk
characters, I'm going through the book with a fine-tooth comb, looking for any
and all errors. I'm on page 86 out of 350 and I have found 13 errors so far.
Most of them are trivial, but since she wanted to know, I'm doing this for her.
If I return all books that have any errors at all in them, I'd be returning 80%
of the approved books for more editing. Do you all want this?  Do you want 100%
perfect books?  I try to make the bestsellers perfect, but I'm a deranged
perfectionist, as we all know.
How's this for a compromise?  If you're happy with me letting some errors go
through with your books, no need to say anything. If you want me to return your
books for more editing if I find over,... let's say 10, errors, then tell me
you want me to do a super-check of your books. It will require lots more work
on both your part and on my part, so think carefully before you sign up for
this.
[I have to say at this point that there are several validators who always
upload books with fewer than 10 errors. Whenever I see their names, I breathe a
sigh of relief because I know their books will have no junk characters, no
scannos, no missing pages, no duplicate pages, no unwieldy font sizes, no weird
formatting, no messed-up fractions or charts or maps, just page after page of
beautiful text. Dave Russell, Marilyn Beasley, our summer intern Shuqiao Song,
the tag team of Louise Gourdoux and Jim Baugh - and I'm sure there are others
who I can't think of right now. They all do beautiful work.]

Carrie