[bksvol-discuss] Re: Pavi on Footnotes (was Re: footnotes)

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 21:38:39 -0500

If it's any help, Mayrie suggested the following when I asked her for help on this so that footnotes would translate correctly for braille when I first started proofreading. It's now incorporated into the volunteer manual on proofreading. Hopefully this addresses what you are asking in regards to the braille translator, but if not I hope one of the blind proofreaders who is experienced in doing this will chime in. Smile.

Footnotes:
As you find footnotes, one way to make sure they are separated from the regular text of the book is to superscript them, and put a space before them. If the footnotes are at the bottom of a page, add a blank line above the footnotes and enclose them in square brackets as follows: [Footnote text:]

Judy s.
susan lumpkin wrote:
Judy,

Thanks for your instructions. Hopefully a braille proofreader will respond as to how these should be formatted for the braille translator.
On Wed, 12 May 2010 20:58:17 -0500, Judy s. wrote:

Here's what Pavi posted on how to handle footnotes, as of 4/23/2009:

"Standardized Guidelines for Footnotes, Superscript and Sidebars:

Bookshare appreciates the insertion of punctuation (brackets or parentheses) around footnotes but does not require it. Footnotes may be retained as they appear in the scanned copy.

Bookshare advocates the retention of superscripts where possible, but in cases where your scanner pushes them onto the line above or omits them entirely, please drop superscripts into the text line. This can be done through a global drop. For more instructions (will include a link to detailed global drop directions [in the volunteer manual, eventually])"

Judy s.

Valerie Maples wrote:
I am going to be repairing a baseball book already in the collection, currently rated as good. It has a lot of footnotes and looks like that was one of the reasons it is rated lower.
I have never done footnotes; can anyone give me a quick primer?

Thanks!
Valerie To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to