[bksvol-discuss] Re: Paragraph problems in open book version 9

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 20:17:46 -0400

I can tell if there is another speaker with clues like he said and she said, but if I have Open Book set to continuous read with no reason to expect that paragraph breaks are missing there is no way to notice it. I did check with the book I am currently scanning. I did that by listening to a bit of dialog and then moving through it word by word and then character by character where paragraph breaks should be. If the paragraph breaks are there then the next speaker starts on another line. In this case the paragraph breaks seem to be there. That does not necessarily mean that they are there in all dialog throughout the book though. In order to actually hear when another speaker might come along it would be necessary to have one speak in some font like bold and another to speak in some font like italics and adjust my settings so that a different voice would be used for each. That is not the way books come though. There have been at least two books that I scanned two pages at a time and proofread each two pages by letting Open Book read them in continuous read mode and had no idea that the paragraph breaks were missing until they were rejected. They were not rejected by the proofreader either. The proofreader checked them in and then they were rejected. That is a really frustrating experience. It has come close to making me just quit.

On 8/13/2014 10:24 PM, Cindy Rosenthal wrote:
My only suggestion is to submit the book with a note that it needs to be proofed by a sighted proofer who can put in paragraph breaks. I do have one other suggestion that might help Roger as well as you. I'm working on a file that does not have paragraph breaks between speakers, i.e. I'm sighted and can see the quotation marks that indicate change of speaker; if you or Roger can hear a change of speaker maybe you can hit the return and put in the paragraph mark. if they are missing elsewhere, can you hear a change in the voice that might indicate a new paragraph? i.e., slight change of subject?

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Sandra Ryan <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I had OpenBook 8 rather than 9, but I did have this problem.   I
    contacted Freedom Scientific, and their answer was “There’s
    nothing to be done about that.”  So my solution was to buy
    Kurzweil 1000 instead.  I have not had this problem with Kurzweil.

    Sandi

    *From:*bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>