[bksvol-discuss] Pagination/Feeling Stupid

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:36:29 -0400

Hi,

Well, Darrell rejected our first submission because of problems with page
breaks and some broken links.  We fixed the links easily but I'm struggling
with the page breaks which I had mistakenly thought would be the easy
problem.

In OP15, I select the "True Page Breaks" or whatever the radio button in the
export dialogue says and save the book as two  .rtf files.  I then open a
word processor to concatenate the two parts of the book and things start to
get weird.

When I open WordPad to add the end of the book to the beginning, neither
JAWS 8 nor 9 can see page breaks so, as far as a JAWS user is concerned, it
might as well be one giant page.  When I open it in Word 2007, all sorts of
weirdness shows up like tons of page and section breaks and the text is all
wrapped in strange text boxes.  I tried Word 2003 without useful results.
Susan tried Word 2007 as we guessed that some of the strangeness had to do
with JAWS but she found page and section breaks strewn throughout the
document with no rhyme or reason and definitely no relationship to the page
numbers.

I can try a different screen reader (I have them all except for HAL) to see
if it will announce page breaks in WordPad which might help but otherwise,
I'm completely baffled.

Please send advice and if you haven't advice, send opium <laugh>.

Have fun,
cdh