[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers and headers/footers

  • From: <Jim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:25:01 -0700

Cindy: thanks for the comments.  I don't want to leap to what validators
may or may not do in a rework of our process yet: I want to make sure I
know where we're going.

Hope, etc.: OK, an additional requirement on our big objectives might be
to have chapter markup at the same level as headers/footers: we should
capture that info and make it possible to see/not see.

Once we have our objectives really, really clear, then we can come up
with back up strategies.  For example, if you can't capture chapter
information in a tag and then output it selectively, maybe you should
try to keep chapter titles rather than whacking them.

I know that everyone here knows that every choice means that something
that is broken today might work, and something that works today might
break: the hope is that a fix makes things 90% better at the cost of 10%
worse...

Fund raising: I've copied our fund raising team on some of your
comments, and I hope we'll be able to follow up on this.  I have to
assume that in every region in the U.S. there are local
foundations/funders who would love this kind of project both for its
local impact (since many foundations are restricted to a region) and its
national and hopefully global impact.  You probably know those folks
better than we do!

Jim Fruchterman
President and CEO
Benetech