[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers and headers/footers

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:04:34 -0400 (EDT)

Jim

What I would like to see as a BookShare reader, submitter, and validator
is the stripping process left to the downloader's choice at the time of
retrieving the book.
There are different occasions when one choice might be more desirable than
another; and what I might prefer for one book on a given day might not be
that desired on another book that day or down the road.
The user would choose a default option which could be overridden at the
time of retrieval.
Because of the nature  of an automated tool such as the stripper,
expecting perfection is impossible; and it will never give totally
consistent results.
Yet, for some, it serves a need; and they should have that available for
them.
For others, it is either not needed or they have means at their end to
remove the superfluous information.

Out of curiosity, this morning, I performed a mini test using K1000's
header/footer removal utility in the careful mode.
I labeled each page in a document with the top line being blank,
the next line with a = sign and the 3rd with a number.
What happened, some pages retained numbers and about half or so didn't.
My point is that this kind of tool while conceptually making sense is
always going to react not 100% predictably.
So have it available for those who opt for it, but also allow for
downloads
without the tool being applied.

Short of that, you are about as likely to reach a consensus on that as you
are on who makes the best pizza or ribbs in town.
You'll be flooded with opinions and reasonings; but you hardly will walk
away with agreement.
And because you won't achieve that consensus, it might be better to allow
customers to make their own choices as to what should be done with the
downloads as part of the downloading process.

As I said before, I'd suggest that customers have a default preference set
which they could choose to override for a given download.