[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page numbers and blank pages

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 13:54:58 -0400

I have been giving the subject of page numbers and the matching of page numbers
in the printed book to page numbers in the Bookshare editions and the more
thought I gave it the more I came to realize that while most of the Bookshare
readers are not reading for school, High School or College, many are and if one
is writing a paper about a book, then s/he needs to be able to cite book and
page number just as much as citing the edition. Even if one is not a student or
scholar, just in normal conversation or discussion of a book you might want to
refer to something on a specific page - that page has to be the same one the
other person or people have.

I had not looked at the Bookshare copy of books I had submitted and found when
I did so that while the page number and heading were included, the page number
did not match the  page numbers Bookshare gave them.  I had left the blank
pages but they were nowhere to be seen so now I know what everyone has been
talking about  when they talked of the "strippers" [appropriately named I
cannot help but think].  They should have left my clothing intact but I will
make sure that all future submissions will have page numbers on the blank pages
and that any headings I want retained will be on the same line as the page
number as that combo was kept. These headings my not seem important to most
readers but are in the case of chapter titles or short story titles as it is
easy for a reader - any reader - to forget which story or chapter  they are in.
 Even I find the reading of headings by the "reader" somewhat annoying, I can
have the Kurzweil readier omit the headings. Is that possible in other screen
readers?

I have no control over what the Bookshare scanners do but I can do my best to
make sure that they will have a hard time omitting something I have a reason
for wanting retained. With apologies to everyone at Bookshare but is not that
why they have people with intelligence and discrimination doing the scanning
and validating [editing] and not just machines.

Amy