[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page break before paragraph page breaks

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Don Elbourne <don@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 21:04:26 -0400

As a matter of fact, I do preproof my scans before submitting. I used to scan two pages at a time, but I figured out that I get a much better scan if I do it one page at a time. So I scan one page at a time and then read through it looking for scanning errors and correcting them before I go on to the next page. If there is something that I can't make out just deleting the page and scanning it again is not too painful. Sometimes, when I have proofed a page and the indecipherable text is at the bottom I will scan it again without deleting the first one and check the second scan for what should have been there and replace that in the first scan and delete the second one. Then every two pages I do a spell check on those two pages to pick up any scannos that my hearing did not detect. But I do nothing further. I leave formatting up to the proofreader and none of the proofreaders have complained about that yet. However, it is good to make a scan good enough that proofreading is only a formality if you can. If you can format without too much trouble then do it. If you are just using Open Book like I do then you make proofreading only as much of a formality as you can and what you can do is not the complete job. That is what all my preproofing is all about. But let me assure you that as careful as I am mistakes still do get through and so the proofreading job on my scans is not just a matter of formatting. Somehow scannos still do remain. That is why the proofreading job exists.

___
Neil deGrasse Tyson
“God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.”
― Neil DeGrasse Tyson

On 3/18/2020 8:44 PM, Don Elbourne wrote:

Roger,

Thank you so much. I am pretty sure there is no way to change the fonts in OpenBook.

I would love to just scan from OpenBook and upload it, but I was under the impression that was very frowned upon.  I asked about this back in December in a thread entitled, " Scanning vs Proofreading." The consensus seemed to be that if a scanner can't also do a first pass proofreading and format the chapters with appropriate fonts, title page, and all the rest, then they shouldn't contribute.

So, I did my best, and failed. The books I scanned have been rejected.

I am looking into getting a different scanning rig, new software, and recruit a sighted person to do my preliminary proofreading and formatting, so that I can contribute.

--
by grace alone,

Pastor Don A. Elbourne Jr.
Lakeshore Baptist Church
http://lakeshorebaptist.net
http://rebuildlakeshore.com

On 3/18/2020 1:51 PM, Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender rogerbailey81 for DMARC) wrote:

I use Open Book for all of my volunteer activity. It is not good for formatting or if it is then I don't know how to use it for those purposes. I use whatever font it uses and if there is a way to change it I don't know what it is and I rarely even give a thought to what font it is reading in. Because of this I gave up proofreading a long time ago and confine myself to scanning and submitting. I let the proofreader worry about all the formatting. Once I finish with a book I go to the menus and use the save as feature to convert it to RTF and save it in the my documents folder on my computer. From there I upload it to Bookshare.

___
Neil deGrasse Tyson
“God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance.”
― Neil DeGrasse Tyson
On 3/18/2020 7:41 AM, Don Elbourne wrote:

Thanks Judy,

I guess I am going to have to abandon OpenOffice and figure something else out.

Yes, I do use OpenBook. After exporting to RTF, I was using OpenBook to change the font for Chapters and things. Is there a way to do that in OpenBook?

What about Google Docs? Does it do the page break thing correctly?

--
by grace alone,

Pastor Don A. Elbourne Jr.
Lakeshore Baptist Church
http://lakeshorebaptist.net
http://rebuildlakeshore.com

On 3/17/2020 9:35 PM, Judy wrote:
Hi Don,

OpenOffice uses this code to force a page break in a document, instead of using the code for a hard page break.

OpenOffice will always create problems with hard page breaks in an rtf document by using the "page break before paragraph" code.

There is no way to fix or change this if you use OpenOffice.

OpenOffice programmers have been straightforward about this on their forum. There is virtually no chance this will ever change. The same is true for LibreOffice.

It's frustrating. I've used both programs for at least a decade for everything but files for Bookshare. You just can't use OpenOffice or LibreOffice to create or edit an RTF file for Bookshare because of the problem with how these programs mess with hard page breaks.

If you are having trouble with hard page breaks and formatting with the OCR software you use, which I recall is OpenBook, this list is the place to ask for help on how to do that with OpenBook. I don't think, from what I've learned here, that you even need a word processor like OpenOffice to create a high quality rtf file for Bookshare if you have OpenBook.

In pretty sure there are several blind volunteers on this list who use OpenBook successfully to create rtf documents that have all of the page breaks and formatting needed for Bookshare submissions. I'm sure they will be glad to help. smile.

Judy

On March 17, 2020 8:40:19 PM CDT, Don Elbourne <don@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    What does "page break before paragraph page breaks" mean and how do I fix
it?

    I use OpenOffice.